Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Obsidium Ores & The Big Three Professions Shuffle

Obsidium Ore Selling Idiots
Obsidium Ore - Farming The Auction House

Obsidium Ore was listed at very low prices on the Auction House.  Who would sell Obsidium Ore at such a low price?  Probably ignorant and uninformed farmers or players too lazy to put these to good use.  These Obsidium Ores were selling from 29 - 35g for full stacks, when I logged in early in the morning to hunt for deals.  My Mammoth Mining Bags are now overflowing as I bought 8k gold worth of Obsidium Ore at this price.  Wes, I beg to differ.  The dumbest Warcraft players are on my server!  Time to shuffle all these ores for major profits.

The Big Three Professions

The Big Three is the excellent gold making profession combination of Jewel Crafting, Alchemy, and Enchanting.  It was an added bonus if you had an Alchemist / Enchanter and could take advantage of disenchanting the Bind-On-Pickup Epic Alchemist trinkets for Maelstrom Crystals.  As of yesterday's hotfix, these are no longer able to be disenchanted.  The Big Three has been very profitable through out Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, and now into Cataclysm.  Jewelcrafting was introduced in the Burning Crusade expansion, so The Big Three did not exist during Vanilla World of Warcraft.  If you are stuck and looking to expand your gold making oppurtunities, be sure to have The Big Three Professions covered.
  • Jewelcrafting - Is used primarily for prospecting ores into uncommon and rare gems.  Also is used for crafting jewelry and weapons (like Carnilian Spikes) to be disenchanted.  Also is used for cutting gems and jewelry to vendor for a profit or sell on the Auction Houses of Azeroth.
  • Alchemy - Is used to transmute gems and meta-gems, truegold and living elements. 
  • Enchanting - Is used to disenchant jewelry and other items to create Enchanting materials like Dusts, Essences, and Shards.  Also used to create Enchanting scrolls to sell on the Auction House.
I also recommend that you take a look at the Venture, LLC Blog.  Stede has a nice post about making gold from Selling Cataclysm Jewelry.

Shuffling Your Ores
  1. Buy ores from the Auction House or gather from farming.
  2. Have the Jewelcrafter prospect the ores for gems.
  3. Cut the rare gems and post on the Auction House.
  4. Sell uncommon gems raw, cut and vendor, or craft jewelry & weapons for disenchating.
  5. Send all jewelry and weapons to Enchanter.
  6. Send some gems to Alchemist to Transmute rare gems and metagems.
  7. Send those transmuted gems back and cut them to sell on the Auction House.
  8. Have Enchanter disenchant all items and sell some Enchanting materials raw on the Auction House.
  9. Create Enchanting scrolls to sell on the Auction House.
This processing of ores is profitable with most of the ores, but especially the newest forms of ores.  If you don't have The Big Three covered with your professions, then I highly suggest you start working towards having all three professions.  Jewelcrafting, Alchemy, and Enchanting are an excellent first set of professions to be working towards.

Are you covering The Big Three in your World of Warcraft gold making process?

7 comments:

  1. I'm doing just that, but Alchemy isn't high enough yet, so no transmutes in my shuffle. Still, I think alchemy is the easiest one to leave out of the shuffle, without loosing too much profit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went from about 1k gold to over 20k gold in a week and a half over Christmas just doing the JC part of this - prospecting and selling the raw gems. Everyone on my server was still leveling JCing and I made a fortune. Since then I'm up another 20k, relying more on the DEing, but also selling the daily JC quest gems on those days.

    On my server, the meta gems don't seem very profitable right now, and there isn't much demand.

    One thing that seems to get overlooked is blue procs from Alicite/Hessonite/Jasper crafted items. They seem to be selling quite well on my server, most of them last week went for between 75g and 200g.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been selling my blue rings from 140-440g each. Str based DPS Rings as well as Tanking Rings and Necklaces are moving the fastest and highest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend not to use my alchemist in my shuffle for now, as the diamonds sell terribly uncut and I only have one cut right now.

    The Nightstone and Hessonite keep flying out of the AH for me when I post them in 20 stacks, even on non-daily days. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout-out, Cold - I've got a nice Shuffling Spreadsheet, too, that I posted yesterday if some of you guys want to check it out. venturellt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't yet personally have enough different cuts to make the shuffle worth it, but since ore prices can't get any lower I've been trying to sell the raw rare gems I get for 15g+ each, which is a tidy profit. I'll keep doing this until I have enough cuts to sell off all of my rares consistently.

    Also of note, dust prices on my server have been dropping precipitously. I'm talking 6g per dust, which means that each ring/neck DE has to give me 3 dust just to break even! I've been trying to sell those uncut in the AH as well for 12g each. If they don't sell I cut them and vendor them, and still come out ahead of the profits from disenchanting.

    Scrolls are still selling for less than materials cost, so that isn't really an option.

    I guess my server is more savvy than I give them credit for, or maybe stupid… I can't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shuffle has lost some of its luster for me. I find the oversupply of uncut gems make it easier and more efficient to just vendor those. The huge quantity of Dusts and Essences have driven those prices ridiculously low. The Enchanting market is very competitive--two primary competitors who list a few silver below me within minutes of my posting.

    Not sure if you have any tips for this type of situation. I'm really tired of using Stede's spreadsheet to project a nice 10k or 15k profit only to find by the time I finish my shuffle I have a fractional amount of that profit available.

    I'm thinking of using the DE mats to initiate some AH PvP against my scroll competition, but not sure about what the JC possibilities are.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome. If reading in a feed, please visit the main site for comments.